Pages

Friday, May 4, 2018

Dreams and Stones

Working through the assignments in the entrepreneurship class I've had to dig deep into the reasons why I do or do not do things. As I wrote out my bucket list I had to really stop and think about what I would like to do if I had (or made) free time. I have spent the last decade and a half taking care of others being responsible for the health and wellbeing. I have come to realize that I need to be able to dream about my future in order to plan and accomplish the things on my very new bucket list.

The Stars and Stepping stones activity came a bit easier, because for the past 2 years I have been on a plan to start a business. I had taken a few small steps but this activity helped me to really put some specifics down and lay them out on a time table. As we go further in the class I look forward to being able to refine this document and really pull out some more defined stepping stones. I found the following quote from that article hilarious "The ultimate horror is not death. The ultimate horror is to wake up at age fifty-five or sixty and realize that you have wasted your life; either that time has slipped past while your dreams waited, or that you never had any dreams at all." I will be 48 years old in a couple of months. This actually happened to me at age 40, I woke up to the realization that I had spent 20 years going from small job to small job or small business to small business and even though I learned a lot about small business, I had no benefits. Plus many years the income was reported as a business loss so nothing was paid into Social Security. So I would be poorer than the poor living on Social Security. 

I have dreams but have set them aside for one reason or another and time has slipped by. My childhood dream was to create clothes for the rich and famous. That is no long a dream that I want to pursue but I am working on an iteration of that dream. It is a pretty achievable goal in the "working years" that I have left.

In reading through and watching Randy Pausch's video, I believe he was able to achieve his childhood dreams first because of the support of his parents. I love that they let him write on the walls of his bedroom. He also referred to himself as tenacious. That is an important quality for people to be able to achieve their goals. It is very important to dream and instill in our children the ability to dream big and give them the courage to seek to accomplish those dreams.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails