Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

Black sand Beach

You might have guessed from my previous post - I like driving around. Actually I like driving period, anywhere anytime. I've driven from CA to Tennessee and back Twice. Loved it.

In our driving we came across Black Sand Beach, I had heard of it, but hadn't put it on our calendar of places to go visit. I'm glad we came across it. It is actually quite a sight. It is fine sand, black as black can be. It is interesting to think that the large rocks of lava could be so finely crushed to become the only sand on a large portion of the coast. Very beautiful.







I also ran into a Wal-mart. Well to be honest I hate Wal-mart and the whole big company consuming small business in every town they establish a store. But they are the Kings of Regional Merchandising! I have worked Retail since I was 16, Mervyn's, JCPenny & Macy's. I made friends with all the Department Managers I worked with, first because they were nice, but mostly because I wanted to know everything about there job and see if it was something I wanted to do. I realized I didn't. But I did learn a lot, and Regional Merchandising is done in all national chain stores. Some do it better than others.

Wal-Mart is king! You can walk into any Wal-Mart in a tourist region or near an attraction and they will have souvenirs of the local place. I walked into that Wal-Mart and you could find anything 'stereotypically' Hawaiian. We bought our souvenirs and kept wandering - I always visit the craft area, and this time I scored Big!

I found local stamps - at that point I was hoping I hadn't waited to the 2nd to the last day to go, and almost out of money! I almost wanted to skip dinner.



I didn't and I'm also so glad that I didn't skip dinner we went to Jackie Rey's in Kona it was so delicious, I had the Mahi Mahi.

(sorry, I'm missing some pictures - I hope I didn't loose a memory card!)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails